At Petrus Private Bank we enforce the most stringent levels of digital security so you can have the confidence and assurances to bank with us. In following the general advice below you can ascertain your own online activity is as safe and secure as possible.
The following items describe simple steps you take do to reduce your online security risks.
Protect your authenticate credentials
Accessing the Personal Internet Banking requires authenticate credentials comprising the utilizer name and password. These need to be punctiliously culled and secured to avert your account from being compromised. Some measures to secure your credentials include:
* Culling an involute (non-guessable) password that is minimally 8 characters long with an amalgamation of digits, alphanumeric and special characters
* Memorizing your password in lieu of writing it down
* Not divulging your password to anyone else
* Transmuting your password customarily or when there is a suspicion of it being compromised
* Utilizing different passwords for different websites, applications, accommodations
* Evading the option of retaining the utilizer name and password for subsequent visits to website
* The Personal Internet Banking includes an enhanced security feature that requires a one-time password (OTP) issued via a security token to be keyed in during the authenticate process. The security token forms part of your authenticate credentials, and therefore its serial number and OTP should not be divulged to anyone else.
Install anti-virus software
Anti-virus software avails to obviate, detect and abstract malevolent computer viruses. Installing reputable anti-virus software protects you, your privacy and your family. Viruses are lamentable news: they purloin personal information, infect your PC, introduce unwanted advertisements and can even exploit your computer to assail other computers. Commonly kenned viruses include malware, Trojans, spyware or adware. Anti-virus software avails protects you against these maleficent viruses. To work opportunely, anti-virus software has to be updated conventionally for it to stay efficacious against incipient viruses.
Update your web browser
Modern web browser software integrates protect against fake websites and viruses. A web browser (commonly referred to as a browser) is a software application for retrieving, presenting and traversing information resources on the World Wide Web. It is advisable to update your web browser conventionally to safeguard your computer against viruses that target pass browsers.
Keep your computer software updated
It is harder for viruses to infect a computer installed with updated software. Malefactors who create viruses capitalize on software bugs to infect computers. Software companies fine-tune bugs with free downloadable updates. It is a good conception that you install updates for your software as anon as they become available.
Beware of fictitiously unauthentic e-mails notifying you of software updates. Utilize the update software that comes with your computer – don’t click on any links in these fraudulent e-mails. Most modern software will check for updates automatically for both computer and web browser software; you may want to install them as anon as they become available.
Abstain from utilizing untrusted devices
Abstain from utilizing public or internet café computers to access online accommodations or perform financial transactions.
Do not share private information online
Check your privacy settings on gregarious networking sites to control who gets access to your personal information and that you only share information with people you trust. Personal information such as address, birth date, bank account number and telephone number is subsidiary to people who have the intention to glom your identity or break into your Personal Internet Banking account. Sharing such personal data over convivial networking sites, such as Facebook, Twitter or MySpace, is precarious and should be eschewed.
Please withal recollect that you must take all plausible precautions to keep your details safe and avert any unauthorized utilization of card and security details. If any information forms part of your security details, you should therefore ascertain that you do not disclose it to anyone else – optically discern the terms and conditions that apply to your account(s) for more detail.
When there is a desideratum to apportion highly sensitive or confidential information such as personal particulars, consider the utilization of encryption technology to protect this information.
Take extra precaution to secure or abstract file and printer sharing in computers, especially when the computers are connected to the cyber world.
Make conventional backup of your critical data to evade accidently effacement or potential data corruption.
Protect your mobile devices
Your mobile devices may hold an abundance of personal data – take care of it. You may even utilize it for internet banking and online shopping. Homogeneous security principles applied to personal computers should additionally be applied to your mobile contrivances.
For example, you might receive an electronically mail that looks as if it was sent by us and the electronic mail might contain a link to a website that looks homogeneous to our Personal Internet Banking page. When you endeavor to authenticate on to the fraudulent website, your password is authentically sent to the fraudster. The electronic-mail could additionally ask you to make a phone call or reply by e-mail sanctioning the fraudster to obtain further information from you.
You may want to contemplate:
* setting and utilizing a security PIN code
* adjusting the phone settings so that it locks automatically if you don’t utilize it for 5 or 10 minutes
* not storing passwords or other sensitive information on your phone in a way that can be understood by someone else
* not storing your home phone number and address under ‘Home’ in the contact list (you wouldn’t want a larcenist to be able to ken your address and be able to check if you’re home)
* verifying supplemental privileges when installing a mobile application to ascertain they correspond to your intended utilization
Be wary of voicemail and text message scams.
If you lose your mobile phone, report the case to your accommodation provider immediately and update the Bank with your incipient mobile phone record as anon as possible. Make a note of your phone’s IMEI number as this will make it more facile for your accommodation provider to incapacitate a glommed phone.
Keep your browser cache cleared
Files stored in your computer called cache files and history can contain sensitive information and data. Always recollect to clear your browser’s cache and history after each session and to log off from the online session so that your account information is abstracted, especially if you are utilizing a shared computer.